Text Size: BIGGER | SMALLER | Reset

You are here: Home / News

Knapdale Waikaka 130th Anniversary

Elinor Collins reports:

In spite of rain being forecast, Sunday February 10th 2013 dawned fine and warm – the rain having been chased away by prayer – for the 130th Anniversary of the original Knapdale Presbyterian Parish.  Situated in Eastern Southland, this small country parish had its beginnings in the same few years as a revival which was started by one, James Dickie.  God used James, who was converted reading John chapter 3, to spread His Word from this country district to a greater surrounding area from 1881 – 86, and a great many people came into a living relationship with Christ.  Four churches were built in the parish in the space of one year and all were opened debt free.  The Knapdale church is the only original one standing and is still in use, and this is where the celebrations were centered.

 

   A 10 a.m. service saw more than 130 people seated in the church with the overflow in a marquee.  
   The Rev. Marty van’t Wout pr
eached on the need for the gospel to continue being sounded out in
   appropriate ways to meet the needs of the peopl
e around us.  A children’s message was given by two
   puppets  to remind them that looking back is good, but not to forget t
hat we must also look to the future.  Photos were taken outside the church and also the cutting of the anniv ersary cake.

 

The congregation was then transported the short distance to the local hall by old fashioned means.  A traction engine towing a rides trailer, an 1880 vintage wagon, both locally owned, carried passengers of varying ages, and for the faint hearted there was a bus.  The procession was led by a piper who marched along with our minister.

 

A catered lunch was served and the afternoon saw a number of speakers give a history of the district and the church, plus amusing reminiscences down through the years.  A display of memorabilia from earlier times was well looked over.

 

As a parish we are presently in good heart and it is interesting to note that some of the attributes resulting from  the revival are still evident.  As God has blessed us in the past, we look forward to His continuing guidance in the future.


Presbyterian Synod Of Otago and Southland.
info@synod.org.nz
Phone: {03} 477 7365
Fax: {03} 477 6736
synod logo
Level 5, Evan Parry House,
43 Princes St, Dunedin.
P O Box 1131,
Dunedin
© 2009 Synod of Otago and Southland | Design by thirdman | Powered by Boss